September 5, 2011
Happy Labor Day! I’m not sure who to blame for this holiday, but I am so incredibly grateful for them, especially this year. Labor Day comes right after school starts and seems to always be a much needed break for teachers and students, even after just a week or two of school. I was so excited to have a long weekend to play and get things done…but alas, my body had different plans. Right before the BYU game on Saturday, I started to feel super tired. By the end of the game I was running a fever and could hardly keep my eyes open. I have spent the last almost 48 hours sleeping. I was able to get up and go to church yesterday, but I’m pretty surprised I was even able to make it through that. Today is more Homework day than Labor Day for me. I’m digging in to a To Do list that is nearly a page long. Other than the slight fever today things are going well.
As I’m sure you heard from your family BYU won against Ole Miss on Saturday! It was a pretty great game. BYU defense was a brick wall! The offense needs to figure out how to finish their plays, but they didn’t look to shabby. I think its going to be a great season!
School this past week was great. I still feel really good about my decision to go to school Full Time. I love all of my classes and I think its going to be a great semester. I don’t know if I told you my schedule before, but I will list in just in case.
Marketing Management
Music 101 (Intro to Music)
Joseph Smith and the Restoration
Into to Public Health
Stats 121-Independent Study
Joseph Smith and the Restoration is probably my favorite class. Susan Eastman Black is a hilarious genius. She has photographic memory so she remembers everything that she has ever read. It’s incredible to see and hear her lecture without any PowerPoint or lecture notes. She teaches completely by memory. I would love to take a church history class with you when you get back! I think that would be way fun, and it would be nice to have someone in my class that I knew and could study with.
Because I don’t have any classes on Thursday, I decided that I am going to do Temple Thursday . Every Thursday to help me get up at a reasonable hour, and so I can go to the temple regularly I am going to get up and be at the temple by 9 to do Baptisms. I went this last Thursday and it was so wonderful. I was in and out of the Baptistery and 25 minutes and I spent another 30 minutes in the chapel just pondering and praying. When I walked out of the Provo temple the view was absolutely incredible. The sky was clear so you could see down to the lake and all the way across to the mountains on the other side. The church is so incredibly true, and we live in a beautiful world.
It sounds like the work is really moving along in your area. I loved reading your email to your family about all of the miracles that you experienced in the past few weeks. It sounds like you and your companion are really being blessed for your efforts. I thought that was a great idea to have a challenge to see how many pass along cards you guys could hand out. Setting goals that are fun and reachable makes the actual work a lot easier. Keep it up and you will be so blessed!
The story you told about the baptism you went to for the little boy was awesome. I’m glad that you were able to experience that reminder of your desire to serve a mission. It’s interesting how primary songs have the deepest truths in them and can bring very clear reminders of the things that we know, but may have temporarily forgotten.
Do you have any new stories from this week? How is everything going?
I should really get back to my homework, but I should be on the computer for the remainder of the day if you have time to email back. I’ll leave you with one last story. The Relief Society teacher in my YSA ward told us a story about her Dad a few weeks ago. Her Mother passed away a few years ago leaving her Dad alone. She said that her Dad inspired her so much because every time she calls him and says “How are you doing Dad?” he replies with “I’m doing great. Today is The Best Day Ever”. Regardless of how lonely he feels or how hard things are, he still decided to make every day The Best Day Ever. I think that our attitude makes a huge difference in how our days go. So make today The Best Day Ever, and choose to make this week, and every week, the best week of your mission.
As always, I’m praying for you, your companion, and the work. Remember that The Church is True and you are on the Lord’s errand.
Always,
Kaytlyn M
I absolutely adore reading your emails and letters!
ReplyDeleteI actually hadn't heard anything about BYU and if you remember I'm probably the hugest football fan you'll EVER meet!
SO excited to hear that they won! Looks like this is the first area that I've been in where there aren't really any members that are football fans.
Oh well. I guess I'll have to rely on you for my football fill ;)
Too bad you caught some type of a cold. I guess at least you have the long weekend to get over it. Hopefully by tomorrow you'll be better. I'm super jealous that you were at the game. I'd say that's worth a little cold, right?
Kay, maybe not. But let's just say I'd trade positions with you any day.
We have to run off and get groceries but I'll write more in a couple hours!
You're the Best.
-Elder Josh Smith-
Josh,
ReplyDeleteYour probably right that a cold would be worth going to a BYU football games, especially against Ole Miss....but unfortunately I was not at the game. They played at Ole Miss, but I did get to watch it on a 52 inch TV. I am definitely grateful for the long weekend to try and get over whatever it is that I caught.
I'm surprised you haven't heard more about the game! It was way intense! BYU dominated the game! They had more offensive playing time in the first half than Ole Miss had the entire game. We probably should have beat them by another 3 touch downs, but we just couldn't finish any of our drives. Jake Heaps is playing quarter back this year. He is doing pretty well, but he needs to learn how to control his arm. He can throw a football like a bullet....but that doesn't do us a lot of good when it just bounces right off of our receivers. He is learning though.
The final score of the game was 14-13. Ole Miss scored first with a field goal in the first half. They scored a touch down off of an interception thrown by Jake Heaps in the second half. We scored our first touch down in the 4th quarter and the second off of a fumble interception. Just in case you didn't notice, that means that the only points scored by the offense on either team was the field goal by Ole Miss and our first touch down. The other 2 touch downs were scored by the defense. Crazy! It was an intense second half. The Cougars did great though!
I hope to hear from you soon.
Kaytlyn M