Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The "One Rule"s of Mel

So...I got a new job this summer.
I am still working part time at Famous, but I am also working at Utah Community Credit Union as a teller. I was an intern last year for the Credit Union, so I thought I had the hang of things, but boy was I wrong. Within the first 3 days I was "off" in my checks 3 of those days. In the first 3 weeks I was off in my checks....oh...80% of the time. There is so much information to memorize and procedure to follow that they don't teach you or even mention in training, that its hard to adjust to the real thing. It has been quite the experience trying to learn everything and become more detail oriented with numbers and where you put them(and I thought my accounting class was bad). Because I made manya(pronounced men-ee-a) mistakes, I have now learned all 10 of Mel's "One Rule"s.
Explanation: After I mess up at the Credit Union Melanie(my supervisor) will say "Okay, here is my one rule" or "Do you want to hear my one rule?". After the first few times, I started catching on that she doesn't have one rule, she has lots of "One Rule"s.
So, after a long explanation, here are the Ten "One Rule"s of Mel:

1. Cash needs to all be face up when you trasfer it to the vault(it throws off the cash counter)
2. Write down the cash that you recieve or disperse on the receipt.
3. Balance checks after each bill payer envelope(and/or halfway through your mail)
4. Do not do a transfer on the computer until Mel has signed the transfer slip.
5. Write down the amount on the coin machine(on the transfer slip) before you push accept.
6. Push your checks together before you put a rubber band around them so that they are neat.
7. Check with Mel before you do reversals and corrections(emphasis on the corrections).
8 .Make sure Mel signs the transfer slip BEFORE it is ripped. a. She REALLY likes to rip them herself, btw.
9. Put a 4 before your teller number on the transfer slips.(Because thats how Mel puts it in the computer).
10.Balance your cash every time you balance you checks. Especially when you have a huge stack of mail.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my ,the pains of trying to keep all the accounts balanced! It sounds like you will get there though! Once the procedure becomes "old hat or routine you will have a great time !(maybe you are already!) :)

    ReplyDelete