I have been meaning to
write this post since before I left to New York, and have in fact attempted to
write it on several occasions (including the time that I almost finished it and
then it was accidentally deleted-sad day). But I have also hesitated to even begin
because of how important the content is to me. I want to adequately express its significance, although I am well aware that I will fall short regardless of the
time I put in to it.
The topic:
Service.
For many years I have
known that I wanted to spend my life in the service of others. I remember where I was and the exact thought that passed through my mind when the idea stuck.
It was my senior year of
high school and I was home alone because I didn't have a class at that time of day. I
remember that I had been trying to figure out what I wanted to do with life and
consequently where I would go to school after I graduated. My family’s home
teacher had come by to visit us a couple of weeks before and he had recounted a story about a
group of kids he had taken over to Romania to do service projects. When he had
initially told us about his experiences I thought they were pretty cool, but didn't really think on them much. As I was walking through the family room several weeks later, that thought crossed
my mind but this time it really had an impact on me.
The thought process
probably went something like this:
What am I going to do with my life?
Where am I going to go to school?
I hate making decisions.
I hate making decisions.
Hmm…that is cool that our Home Teacher took those students over to
Romania to help people.
I wonder if he would take me some day.
That would be sweet.
I wouldn't mind going on a lot of trips like that.
That would be sweet.
I wouldn't mind going on a lot of trips like that.
That would be awesome if I could take people on service trips like that.
Hey! I should take people on service trips!
I stopped walking and
stood there for a few seconds thinking how incredible that kind of opportunity would be. I could travel the world meeting incredible
people and make a difference in the lives of those that I took with me as
well as those that we served. Those few seconds changed my life and I knew without a doubt that I really did want to spend the rest of my life doing service.
Once that decision was made it was easy to choose which university I would to attend. One of the unofficial mottos of Brigham Young University is "Enter to Learn. Go Forth to Serve". I began attending BYU in the fall of 2009 and began as an International Relations major. In the fall of 2011 I changed my major to Public Health with an emphasis in Health Promotion and a minor in Management.
Since then a lot has happened, but to make a long story short I will just say that in the last year I have decided to go in to Emergency Management which is focused on emergency preparedness and disaster response. It has been amazing to see that since that decision was made so many doors have been opened to me to learn, grow, and gain experience in this field. I have been involved with The American Red Cross, and specifically with hurricane Sandy recovery efforts. I was so blessed to be able to leave for 2 weeks during the semester to fly out to New York as a volunteer and help those affected by the storm. You can start reading about my experiences in New York by clicking here. I am working with the City of Lindon on their Emergency Action Plan and City Drill Down. I have met so many individuals who have been so kind to give me information, guidance, and instruction in regards to the Emergency Management field and the opportunities that are available to me. I have also been asked by sweet friends to speak at Relief Society meetings to share my experiences and the things that I have learned. I am so humbled at the opportunities that I have been blessed with.
When one of my teachers asked earlier this year "What is Happiness" I immediately thought of service. There are few things that give me more joy than to "be in the service of my fellow men" (Mosiah 2:17)
I have seen the light that it brings in to the lives of others and I have also seen how it relights the flame inside of my own soul. I realize better now who I am because of who I have served.
President Kimball once said that “The more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls. We become more significant individuals as we serve others. We become more substantive as we serve others—indeed, it is easier to “find” ourselves because there is so much more of us to find!”
I know that this is true. I know that it is easy to get lost in this world and to not know where to turn or what to do. But I also know that service can fill emptiness, bring joy, give purpose and meaning to a life that seems worthless, and that you can truly find yourself when you get lost in the service of those around you.
There are two things that I hope you will take from this message on Service.
Part 2 of the Service Posts will be up next and includes information on how to get involved in your community and make a difference!
Since then a lot has happened, but to make a long story short I will just say that in the last year I have decided to go in to Emergency Management which is focused on emergency preparedness and disaster response. It has been amazing to see that since that decision was made so many doors have been opened to me to learn, grow, and gain experience in this field. I have been involved with The American Red Cross, and specifically with hurricane Sandy recovery efforts. I was so blessed to be able to leave for 2 weeks during the semester to fly out to New York as a volunteer and help those affected by the storm. You can start reading about my experiences in New York by clicking here. I am working with the City of Lindon on their Emergency Action Plan and City Drill Down. I have met so many individuals who have been so kind to give me information, guidance, and instruction in regards to the Emergency Management field and the opportunities that are available to me. I have also been asked by sweet friends to speak at Relief Society meetings to share my experiences and the things that I have learned. I am so humbled at the opportunities that I have been blessed with.
When one of my teachers asked earlier this year "What is Happiness" I immediately thought of service. There are few things that give me more joy than to "be in the service of my fellow men" (Mosiah 2:17)
I have seen the light that it brings in to the lives of others and I have also seen how it relights the flame inside of my own soul. I realize better now who I am because of who I have served.
President Kimball once said that “The more we serve our fellowmen in appropriate ways, the more substance there is to our souls. We become more significant individuals as we serve others. We become more substantive as we serve others—indeed, it is easier to “find” ourselves because there is so much more of us to find!”
I know that this is true. I know that it is easy to get lost in this world and to not know where to turn or what to do. But I also know that service can fill emptiness, bring joy, give purpose and meaning to a life that seems worthless, and that you can truly find yourself when you get lost in the service of those around you.
There are two things that I hope you will take from this message on Service.
- There are blessings that come from service that you cannot find anywhere else in this world and it is absolutely worth every minute that you put into it.
- Don't sell yourself short. You can do better. Smiling at strangers is good, but you are capable of more than that. I don't believe that is the best you can do, because we were created with the capacity to perform miracles and change lives. YOU can make a BIG difference. Don't ever believe otherwise.
Part 2 of the Service Posts will be up next and includes information on how to get involved in your community and make a difference!

Hi Kaytlyn...this post just re-emphasizes to me how strong and spiritually prepared many of the rising generation in the church are !! The young people I train as Ordinance workers in the temple..before they leave on their missions are like you in that they are usually ...STRONG, Focused, and with a spiritual/service orientation that my generation took years to achieve.I commend you on your choices and achievements thus far !!! Aunt Sheila Loves You !!!
ReplyDelete