Monday, December 10, 2012

Day 14: Mondays

Mondays can be hard sometimes. Today was hard. Lots of really good things happened and I had several learning experiences, but it was hard.

When I arrived at the shelter this morning I went to the morning meeting, signed in, and then went to the command center to get my assignment for the day. Jackie assigned me take over transportation because John has the day off. I agreed to take the job and I asked her what I was supposed to do. She said "I don't know. John sits in that corner over there and does whatever." Oh. Okay. So I sat in that corner and flipped brought every book, folder, and piece of paper that I could find to try and figure out what I was supposed to be doing. After searching for about 20 minutes I found nothing. So I started rewriting the post-it notes that were on the board so that whatever John had written was at leaf somewhat legible. Then I received my first assignment!

The first thing I was assigned to do was call Sada (a guy who's job it is to drive people places) and figure out how to get the 9 people (including the Americorps girls) back to the Chaminade shelter. So I called Sada and started to get things figured out. Then I called Holly to try and arrange things on their end. Then I tried to call John, then Sada, then I talked with Gilbert (another driver) then Holly, then Sada, and after about an hour and a half we finally figured things out. Then it changed again, so I made a few more phone calls and things were set. The girls and 5 others were coming back that day and would arrive later that night. Awesome!

I ate lunch with Anita and Carlos today. It was nice to talk with them and get to know them a little bit better. After lunch I kind of just wandered around doing random jobs here and there. I babysat Seth for about 20 minutes while his Mom packed up their things to leave. His Mom hugged me at least 3 times before she left. It was hard to see them leave. I made crafts with a few of the younger kids, and ran errands for all sorts of people.

Around dinner time a guy named Kenneth needed some help with his phone that wasn't working. Every time he called it said that only emergency calls were allowed. I didn't think that was such a good sign since usually that means their service was shut off. I tried to turn his phone on and off and even reset it, but nothing seemed to he working. I then called AT&T and was on the phone for 30 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. They finally concluded that the SIM card had been deactivated and he would need to come in to get a new one. Thank goodness.

After helping Kenneth I went and ate dinner super late and then spent time with security and information. I also talked to Sada and Gilbert who had just returned from picking up the 9 people from Southampton. They said there was so much rain on the roads but the entire trip went well and they made it back safely. Sada talked to me for like 15 minutes. He was really kind and it was nice to just sit and chat for a little bit. He has already been deployed for 4 weeks and may stay for at least 1 more.

When I got back to the staff shelter I signed in and turned around to see the Americorps girls. Dani came up and have me a big first, then Holly, Crystal, and I went back and have Jenna a hug. They had a really rough couple of days and then a very bad night. The manager over the cot cleaning project hadn't gotten anything done while they were there. This morning was the only day they actually did anything productive. It was very hard on them to not be working and even more frustrating that John wouldn't listen to anything they were saying. Tonight after they got back they went out to eat and the place they went to refused to serve them because they felt like all American Cross volunteers did was take people's money to eat food and get drunk. They were yelled at for a few minutes before they finally left. It was pretty bad and it tipped them over he edge. Holly called and rescheduled all of their flights for tomorrow, Tuesday, instead of this Wenesday. So I will see them in the morning and hen they fly out. It was really nice to see them again and to laugh and joke. I also had a really good chat with Jenna about life and God's plan for us. She is awesome and I know that she is going to do great things

Alisa and a few others went out tonight and bought icecream and she brought me back a banana split! It was super nice of her and it definitely hit the spot.

It is crazy to think that in less than 48 hours I will be back in Provo Utah! I know I keep saying this, but I have had some of the most incredible experiences. There is so much out there that can and needs to be done, but the coolest thing is that you and I can do those things! There are a million and one ways to get involved and make a difference! You just have to put forth a little bit of effort and so it. When I get home I will dedicate an entire post to what you can do now to be prepared and to help others! Whoever you are, you can be involved and you can change somebody's world! So don't wait! Have a go and do attitude!

Always,

Kaytlyn

















No comments:

Post a Comment