Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 2

This morning, I woke up in New York City. I looked out my window and could see Broadway and a sign for the Letterman show. I quickly got ready and went down in to the lobby to meet up with Cecil. I bought an apple turnover and we headed out at 8am for the Manhattan Red Cross chapter, a 15 minute walk through the city.

When we arrived at the chapter we went through in-processing and headed over to orientation. While standing in line for processing and also while sitting in orientation I was behind 4 girls who looked like they were about my age. When the teaher asked during orientation who was going to work in shelters they all raised their hands. Afterwards I talked to them to let them know I was doing sheltering as well and we have been hanging out together ever since. Their names are Dani, Crystal, Jenna, and Holly. They are all Americorps/Red Cross volunteers who are stationed in Phoenix Arizona. Holly is originally from Michigan and Jenna is from Wisconsin. Both Dani and Crystal are from Phoenix. (In the picture of the 5 of us below left to right it is Crystal, Jenna, Dani, Me, and Holly)

We headed over to check in with our supervisor and get our assignments. The shelter center asked for our names and then told us that we hadn't yet been assigned and they were still trying to figure things out. So they took down our phone numbers and told us we were free to roam around the city until they called us. So we headed out.

We made a quick stop by Starbucks so that Jenna could get her caffeine fix for the morning. After that we walked around a ton. We saw lots of buildings, a river, a huge ship, and a New York "park" that was really a walkway with about 2-3 feet of plants on each side. (See picture below)

Holly saw a HUGE pigeon on the road that was really round for a bird. She told us that she "just wanted to squeeze it". Needless to say none of us understood why since it would be super gross and it would probably just poop on her if she did squeeze it. She was relentlessly teased for the rest of the day. Her nickname is now "girl who likes to squeeze pigeons". Nicknames for the rest of us are yet to be determined.

At about 12:30 we received a call from the chapter summoning our presence to receive our assignments. We hurried back only to be asked 3 questioned and be handed a piece of paper. We were assigned to the Nassau County shelter. The shuttle was supposed to leave at 4pm. We were sent back to our hotels to pick up our luggage and return again to the chapter. On our way back to the hotel we stopped at a Steak Grill place for lunch. it was directly across the street from the theater where they are showing the musical "The Book of Mormon". Haha. We ate chicken sandwiches with avocado in them. Yum.

After lunch we picked up our luggage, hailed a Taxi (mostly the driver just saw us and stopped) and headed back to the chapter. Then, we waited.

After we waited, we waited more. Then a little bit more. And then we were told that the shuttle wouldn't be coming until 5. So we waited more.

After that we were informed that it wouldn't actually come until 7. So we left and went to a hole in the wall Pizzaria and ate awesome pizza for dinner, while laughing so hard because we were all so exhausted, almost to the point of going crazy. This was also the time when Holly received her appropriate nickname mentioned earlier.

After dinner we went back to the chapter and waited some more. We took a few pictures (see the one below of the 4 girls) and then waited a bit longer. Our shuttle didn't come until about 8pm. I ended up being put in a different van from the 4 other girls because there wasn't enough room, but it all worked out okay because we were going to the same place and I was able to sleep on the way there.

Although we are working at the Nassau County Shelter we are sleeping in a staff shelter with a secret location which I am not allowed to disclose-partially because I don't know where it is. I do, however, know that it is on Long Island.

After the ride here we unloaded our stuff and went up to the 3rd floor of the building where all of the other volunteers who are working in the Nassau shelter were staying. We met the shelter manager and received 2 official Red Cross blankets (Sweet!!!), and chose which cots we would be sleeping on.

One of the cots near me belongs to a lady who is about the same age as Mom. She came over and told us that it was time to go to sleep and we needed to listen to our Mom. I like her already. She also asked me what I was reading and I told her it was The Book of Mormon. She said "good for you" and then walked away. That seems to be the most common response from people here.

I know that it seems like I had a fairly unproductive day, and that is because I did. But it was really cool to meet and spend time with so many volunteers at the Manhattan chapter and to get to know Jenna, Holly, Dani, and Crystal. They are all super nice and way fun to hang out with. So far we have gotten along great and I am excited to be able to work with them.

I am also REALLY excited to get to work! Tomorrow I leave the staff shelter at 7am to report for my assignment!

Wish me luck!

Always,

-Kat









1 comment:

  1. Sounds like fun! Holly doesn't look as thrilled as the rest of you, perhaps due to her nickname?

    ReplyDelete