Monday, June 13, 2011

My Talk-June 12, 2011

This is the talk that I gave in my YSA ward yesterday. I think there is a typo or two, but enjoy!

Elder Marvin J. Ashton once related the following story. He said:

Years ago while walking with a wise friend of mine, we passed one of his neighbors as he stood in
the front of his home. My friend greeted the man with “How are you Bill? It's good to see you.” To this greeting, Bill didn't even look up. He didn't even respond.
“He is an old grouch today, isn't he?” I snapped.
“Oh, he is always that way.” my friend responded.
“Then why are you so friendly to him?” I asked.
“Why should I let him decide how I am going to act?”

The vital lesson that Elder Ashton learned from his friend was how important it is to act instead of being acted upon. Every day we are faced with hundreds of opportunities that force us to choose how we will act and what kind of attitude we will have. Those actions display our commitment to and testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

President Hinckley taught that “The course of our lives is not determined by great awesome decisions. Our direction is set by the little day to day choices which chart the track on which we run”.

Although it may seem that many of the decisions we make have very little, if any, impact on our eternal salvation, I think we would be surprised at how many of them actually do affect our day to day, week to week, and year to year happiness, as well as the happiness of those around us.
A good way to gauge how we are doing with our decisions is to remember that God's purpose is “to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man”. Is this not our purpose as well? When we realize that we share this purpose, it becomes a powerful “personal Liahona”. If our actions are leading to the eternal progression of ourselves and of others, we can have a perfect knowledge that it is a correct choice and is exactly what our Heavenly Father wants us to be doing. I know that we can and will receive constant confirmation and support in the actions that we take to help fulfill the purpose of God.

My favorite book in the Old Testament is Romans, which was written by Paul the Apostle. Paul is a fantastic example of an individual who showed through his actions his commitment to and testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He stated both in words and deeds that he was “not ashamed of the gospel”. David B. Haight said of Paul:

“The Apostle Paul was fearless and never wavered in his testimony of Jesus. His faith and determination lifted him from being a tent maker to become a teacher, a missionary, leader, and organizer of Christian branches. He most certainly wasn't a sissy or weak. People of great faith know what is right and they do it. They have uncompromised determination and commitment and are capable of enduring pressure or hardship. Paul knew what was right and you know what is right. When you take courage like Paul and do what you know is right, nothing will stop your progress but yourself.”

There are four specific actions I would like to talk about today, that we can make in our daily lives that will show that we, like Paul, know what is right and are not ashamed of the gospel of Christ. They are: Be doers-not complainers, have a positive attitude in all of your relationships, complete daily acts of service, and bear a simple testimony.

Being a girl, I understand that venting, or complaining, often seems like the best solution or easiest way to deal with a problem. However, recently I have been working on changing my attitude in difficult or frustrating situations by asking myself “what am I going to DO about it” or “is there anything that can be done at this time?” I work in a call center. As many of you may know, people are A LOT more likely to get upset and raise their voice over the phone than they are in person There are times that after dealing with a particularly difficult call the temptation to vent or complain about the individual is hard to overcome. I have made it a habit to say “I love our members” or “I love people”after finishing a difficult call instead of starting a negative conversation with a coworker. Even when said sarcastically, it still helps to prevent complaining and gives me the opportunity to move on from the problem. Instead of allowing that individual to decide how I am going to act, I choose to act in a way that Christ would. This allows me to create a more positive atmosphere for myself and those I work with. By acting in a more Christ like way, I testify in a small and simple way that I believe in Christ and in his true and living gospel.

Elder Ashton told another story of a man he was acquainted with who had a brother serving time in a state penitentiary. He said:

“On several occasions I have asked this friend of mine to accompany me to visit his confined family member. When asked most recently, he responded with an emphatic, "No, I don't want to go. It's no use. He won't talk. He won't listen. He's no good. He will never change." His last statement, "He will never change," prompted me to think, "and apparently neither will you."

In every relationship that we have, whether it be family, friends, coworkers, acquaintances, or strangers, we have the opportunity to choose how we will treat that relationship and what we are going to get out of it. I have a friend who struggles socially and has a hard time fitting in. When I first met her, my patience was tested with the constant stream of text messages, calls, requests for rides, and silly conversations. It took a few months before I realized that event though she could be overwhelming at times, she was still my friend and I could choose to be frustrated, or I could choose to learn from it and be a good friend in return.

I have been greatly blessed by this friend with a strong testimony that our Heavenly Father places people in our lives for our benefit. There is something that we can learn from everyone we meet, and there is something that we can DO to help every single person that we come in contact with. When we are willing to look for the best in others and seek for the lessons and blessings in all of our relationships, the hand of the Lord will be more abundant in our daily lives. We will be a walking testimony of his goodness and mercy.

A few years ago in a Sunday School class, I received from my teacher a handout that has stayed by my bedside ever since. It give two suggestions of things to pray for every day. The first is “How can I repent”. The second, “Who can I serve”. To the second suggestion I have added a note that reads “Don't leave your knees until you have an idea”. Although I will admit that I have not been 100% consist with following my own advice, I can tell you that the days that I don't leave my knees until I have an idea of how and who I can serve, have more purpose and meaning than the days that I don't. These acts of service don't need to be big things, they just need to be things. I have noticed that a simple smile and “hello” can make a persons day faster than a plate of cookies. Another favorite of mine, is sending a quick text message to check in with someone, to tell them that I love them, or remind them that I think they are really great. Random Thank you's are also a small act that makes a huge impact on someones day. Saying “Thank you” for being a friend, a sibling, a great boss, or a good example is a fast way to strengthen a relationship and and increase your gratitude for the people in your life. Just as Christ took the time to help those that he came in contact with, so can we be a witness of his love by doing the same.

The last suggestion I have of an act that will show that you are not ashamed of the gospel of Jesus Christ is to bear a simple testimony every day. A phrase that is often heard in my family's home and among my friends and I is “don't worry, the church is still true”. Or “did you know, that the church is true”? I had a Book of Mormon teacher who said this in every single one of her classes, and she touched my life greatly. I can not even begin to tell you the strength that it has been to my testimony to say at least once every day that “The Church is True”. As this habit has become a part of my daily routine, I have seen the change that it has made in myself and in others. I have caught myself thinking more and more often “how can it not be true” instead of the oh so common “why is it true”. Bearing this simple testimony to my family, friends, and sometimes even strangers, as strengthened the relationship that I have with them as well as with my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. By bearing our testimonies every day in simple and humble ways, we can say with Paul that we “are not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ”.

No comments:

Post a Comment